TextCrawl was the "original" name for the game that later became Second Wind.
The original name was meant to reflect the fact that it was a text-adventure-like Dungeon Crawl. Eventually the name was ditched in favor of Second Wind midway through developement.
This page is dedicated to documenting the features that were taken out or added to TextCrawl as the game grew, trust me, it's a much different beast now then it was originally.
Second Wind was originally supposed to be a warrior running around a dungeon with the "Explore" button being a recurring element, after every 'adventure,' the user would be returned to the button.
Initially, potions did not exist, and to account for that, the Warrior's original skillset was Bash, Guard, and Heal. Heal would function exactly like potions, would charge right up front, and had flavor text that described the adventurer as making a pact with a demon.
Eventually, potions and infirmaries found their way, and the rest was history.
Originally, the DM was also the final boss - the Hollow Earth and PentPlane areas only came after deciding on creating a more "dramatic" story.
The classes were designed in the following order:
- Wizard (Beginning of the "Great Mage Spam")
- Darkfolk <Changed the Class Select Menu as the Classes expanded beyond the original 9 spaces>
- Blackguard (I realized I needed more sword users, the mages outgunned the melee classes!)
- Esper (This is when I began locking all the characters)
- Red Knight (There were supposed to be three knights, I couldn't think up a mechanic for a third :D)
- Lime Knight
More to come later! Including drawings and stuff :D